Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Reverse Engineering. Unpacking Crysis 2!

It has been a long time since I wrote anything in the blog, thought it might be time to share some experience.

So, what is so special about Crysis 2? Isn't it a really old 2011 game? It's special in my heart, it all started in February of 2011, Crytek had released the DEMO Multiplayer of Crysis 2 and after having tried it for the first time, I fell in love immediately with the multiplayer component. Here came March 21st and March 22nd, the game came out, but I couldn't buy it then, so I patiently waited for a cracked version to appear, astonishingly, it took 2-3 days for somebody to release a crack, meanwhile there was a non-cracked version available.

So, what did I do? Well, I tried to crack it myself, of course! Did I succeed? Absolutely not! I didn't know a thing about RE(Reverse Engineering) or ASM(Assembly), but I still tried for a while.

I played the Singleplayer, after a cracked version was released, I loved how spooky and eerie the story felt, because it was saying the suit was alive and could think for itself. The story was all about the suit. Graphics were as always, pretty good. But the AI was dumb, really dumb.

After I finished the singleplayer, I kept wondering, how do I play the multiplayer? I couldn't. After a while(a month or two?), something amazing was released, something I didn't believe was even possible. A multiplayer crack! However strange as it may seem, it only worked in limited hours, between 16-21PM UTC. I never figured out how it worked.

Did I play? Yes, oh my god yes, the multiplayer was really competitive, it took skill to aim. After a while, I found a website that was selling Crysis 2 serial keys for just $16 dollars, even as low as $11. Should have noticed the signs. The key was legit, it worked fine up to the moment GameSpy shutdown in 2014 May. Yes, from the $11 dollar price of a game not even 2 months old, the sign was obvious, it was dying and sure enough, after about 3 months, Crytek stopped patching it, abruptly, and there was ZERO communication from them TILL the Crysis 3 announcement in the summer of 2012. I must stress the word ZERO.
The game was left unpatched, with various GAMEBREAKING bugs, such as the infamous Scar+Laser bug, which made you strafe faster and was abused a lot. And cheaters, that could bypass the votekick system easily, very easily.
Hint: Same thing happened to Crysis 3.

So, there you have it. Much of 2011 and 2012 was Bitcoin and Crysis 2, mine and play and play and mine. Those were the days!

Actual unpacking bits in next article.

No comments:

Post a Comment